Friday, September 13, 2013

How I Spent Flipped Day

Probably by coincidence, our school's Online & Blended Learning Committee presented their findings on Flipped day. Knowing that I flipped my class, I was asked to participate in the presentation. 
Here's the basic outline of my presentation, minus some things I mentioned on the spot. The beginning of my talk was greatly inspired by Amanda Meyer, who blogs about a presentation she recently gave. Since then, I've adopted this message and shared it with my students on the first day of class.

"Stand up if you agree with the following statements. 
  • You want your students to engage in critical thinking.
  • There are times where you need to give direct instruction - explain a concept, demonstrate how to do something, give information or instructions.
  • Some students instantly understand while others do not.
  • Some students need to hear or see things at a slower pace than others.
  • Some students need to hear or see things multiple times to get it.
  • Some students pay attention during direct instruction and some do not.
  • Some students are absent when you give direct instruction.
  • Some students need and/or request your help outside of class time.
  • Some students are reluctant to request help.
  • Some students do not complete their homework because they are genuinely confused. (Some expected chuckles here.) 
  • Some students would benefit from your presence during those times.
  • Some students get inappropriate help during those times.
Keep your responses in mind when viewing the next clip.



So I was faced with an important question, what is the best use of my class face-to-face time. Is it me delivering information to my students or is it working with my students?
I decided the second option was the best way to spend class time and that's what led me to flip my class. "

I went on to explain what I did during my first flipped class attempt, which was 4th quarter of last year. I provided tangible examples of how flipping improved my class and how I plan to enthusiastically build on my progress this year. I mentioned how a previous presentation on digestion took about a class period and a half in previous years and how the video turned out to be only 10 minutes. This recovered time was spent answering questions, letting students spend more time on designing experiments, even revising experimental designs and collecting data. I answered questions and grabbed a few students who struggled and did small group instruction at the board.

There were thoughtful questions and issues raised. But at any rate, a couple of teachers approached me about connecting with other flipped teachers and learning more. Even though I did not have a class of students, it was a great Flipped Day!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment