Monday, June 23, 2014

A Glimpse into the Future of #flipclass: a one year anniversary blog reflection

Flickr // Nubobo

This is the one year anniversary of Wilson's Flipped Lab, the blog where I reflect on my experiments, successes and failures in the flipped class. It's fitting that I originally started this blog exactly a year ago as a project during FlipCon 13 (explained here) because today is the first day of FlipCon 14. I'm happy to report 63 blog entries of my thoughts and experiences in this past year. I'm hopeful that other flipped teachers and those considering the flip have and will continue to learn from this chronicling. I'm unsure how many read this blog but it has been successful in it's intended purpose to help me reflect about my pedagogy. 

Many of my posts have been about the immediate past or immediate future. I'd like to take this opportunity to dream years into the future. These are the hopes for my courses. 

- Self directed passion-based learning: What if my students can pick and choose which topics to explore, projects and experiments to design, which content to curate and choose from in order to learn, and how to best represent their learning? What if students decided how to be assessed and what standards and levels to be evaluated by? 

- Authentic assignments and audiences: what if students were always engaged in an authentic learning experience to be shared with a global and authentic audience? What if their learning occurred as a necessary component of solving a real world problem that would help countless other people? What if students no longer have to ask, "why am I learning this?" What if the purpose of learning all of the skills and content of the course were self evident and inherently obvious to my students?

- Students learning from students: what if the primary learning materials were created and curated by students? What if students learned from and were held accountable by other students? 

These are the burning questions that I struggle with. In my current practice, I am far away from answering them. Yet, I see the seeds to answering them. Whether it is setting up an asynchronous course, curating alternative and optional learning opportunities and learning materials, aligning these materials to each course standard, or creating real world case studies and projects, I have a glimpse into a more student directed and centered education. I must have the courage and discipline to transform these wonderings into action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment